Built by Staniland of Thorne in 1935 ‘Rummy III’ has had an interesting life mainly on the East Coast. During World War II (1942) she served as HQ to the officer commanding air sea rescue and was later converted to fire ship duties. She was a custom built yacht based on the 42ft 6in Hyland standard motor cruiser. She is a certified craft on the National Historic Ship’s Register number 1428. She benefited from a major restoration in 2001 including a new apron, transom, beam shelves and new decks. Together with rebuilt engines, a total re-wire, new plumbing and a sympathetic restoration of all existing fittings, she is one of the finest examples of a Hyland afloat today.
L.O.A : 41ft 6in (12.954M) Beam: 10ft (3.048M) Draught: 4ft 6″ (1.22M) Displacement: 17 tons Fuel capacity:30 gallons Freshwater capacity:100 gallons.
Construction: 1″ Pitch pine planking on oak frames. Oak keel, floors and deck beams. Margin planks, bulkheads, chart table and interior woodwork all mahogany, most still original. The decks are epoxy sheathed forward and laid teak to stern.
Accommodation: Saloon with banquette seating around dining table. Fitted sideboard with drawers and cupboards including inbuilt upholstered seat, drinks cabinet and serving hatch to galley. Opening saloon skylight. Stern cabin with double berth upholstered seating and dressing table with drawers. The heads has hot and cold running water and a shower. There is also luggage room with hanging space. Forward cabin has its own heads and twin berths and wardrobe, storage lockers, drawers and opening skylight. Both staterooms have Vi-sprung mattresses. The galley has hot and cold water, gas cooker with oven, electric refrigerator, microwave, worktop and storage cupboards and shelving. Salt water pump. Poop deck fitted with teak seating with lockers under and gas storage. Wheel steering with full instrumentation. The wheelhouse has a purpose made cabinet containing a full set of signal flags. Rummy III is a very comfortable four berth vessel both for cruising and living aboard.
Equipment: The wheelhouse is fitted with radio, compass, echo sounder, Kent screen, twin horns, searchlight, radar and electronic pilot. Hydraulic wheel steering in the wheel house or alternative steering position on the rear poop deck. Beneath the wheelhouse floor are the calorifier, hydraulic pump for windlass, battery charger, bilge pump, domestic water pump and deck wash pump.
Ancillary Equipment: All cabins have solid bronze portlights. 12v electric lighting through-out with 240v supply providing power to sockets in all areas. Fitted canvas winter cover which completely envelopes boat to deck level. A service mast carrying radar and radio aerials also has a track for a steadying sail.
Safety Equipment: Twin anchors, and a hoisting and lowering crane. Clinker built pram dinghy on davits over stern.
Engines: Two Perkins 4108 diesel engines fitted in 1976 and completely rebuilt in 2002.
Since her restoration she has been kept in immaculate condition with all the usual maintenance jobs carried out to a high standard.
Lying Ipswich, Suffolk.